Thursday, July 04, 2013

Viking Sharks!

Great pic - and there's more here! Click for details!


Now, I get this message from Lill.
Guys, you got "competition"! 
We have initiated our own shark-feed in Norway - hand feeding, of course, inspired by Rusi and Papa and your lovely bull sharks in Fiji ..: )
The annual spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias) gathering is happening right now, for the third year in a row since it was discovered, and finally I managed to go there. AMAZING. (and YES, let's all be glad these sharks are less than one meter long - they are completely fearless, if any bigger I would be chewed up in seconds..! )
And here's a new video!



Very cool indeed - bravo!

So Chuck, what are you waiting for!
This sure beats stuffing them into childrens' meals where for once I'm 100% with the pompous prez - WTF! Yes they may be small but they are long lived = plenty of time for bio-accumulation, and consequently, they are being rated as big no-no by both the Seafood Watch and  EDF!
But worry not: those NE-Atlantic Spurdogs are critically endangered and although not fully protected, at least for now the TAC remains at zero.
 
But I'm digressing as always.
If this takes off, this could well become one of those new Shark diving sites mentioned in that Shark tourism paper!

Talking of which.
I must confess that I was rather annoyed by the total lack of reaction to my rather, uh, robust comments, this despite knowing that the post has been read by its authors and facilitators alike.

But fear not, others have noticed.
The scientific cavalry may be slow - but it is coming.
Keep watching this space!

3 comments:

(Tiger)Lily said...

Sharks for school lunch? Hmmm...: (

So far, this unique shark dive is carried out "Do-it-yourself"- style (like most diving in Norway), assisted by local divers. It seems to be a seasonal gathering over the summer months of June-July. Absolutely spectacular!

Tropical Selkie said...

Love this! I don't do cold water but I would to dive with those little guys. Awesome. Anyway, I think one of the reasons you may have gotten so few responses to your tourism paper review was be cause it WAS so thorough. You made your case well. I would simply add that, as I've said before, once the science is peer-reviewed and published and unless their are GLARING inaccuracies or retractions, the results -- correctly quoted and cited -- are fair game for advocacy and conservation planning. Those are the rules. Sometimes a caveat or two are required depending on the application of the information, but otherwise, its game on. As you'll see; I've already cited it in an article for a popular magazine...and will, again, I'm sure.

DaShark said...

Indeed!

Reminds me of how the Chapple census was used to advocate the ESA listing of those GWS ... despite of the caveats... and who's looking stupid now...