Monday, June 22, 2009

Deadly Waters For Whom?


How was your opinion of sharks formed?
All my life I have struggled to overcome negative exposure to sharks. I think I have won, but it has been a long haul.
My earliest memory of sharks is from 1975. I was spending the night at a friend’s house. Across the street from his building was the base movie theater. All that Friday night we were scared witless by the constant screams we heard coming out of that theater during the three showings. We had seen the posters on the movie theater billboard and our imaginations filled in all the rest, which is not too hard for imaginative 7–year–olds. It would be years later before I actually saw the movie, which only reinforced my abject fear of sharks...
Full post here - bravo Eric!

2 comments:

Tafa said...

My first opinion was formed by watching Jaws, though its funny to watch now but it really heard a -ve effect on me... Even now when someone plays the jaws title track it makes me jump for a second.

I still have a fear of the great white coz of that movie... but one day hopefully I will gain enough confidence to swim with a great white. Hopefully they like scarface. :)

DaShark said...

Many people have had that experience.

My first Shark movie was "Blue Water White Death" with Ron&Val and Stan and I've been fascinated by Sharks -and those people- ever since.

But even "Jaws" author Peter Benchley was shocked by the negative impact his book and the movie had on Sharks and became a vocal Shark conservationist thereafter.

Only Discovery seems to be going the other way, from credible knowledge-based documentary channel to producer of gratuitous infotainment featuring idiotic anchors doing idiotic things.