Thursday, September 21, 2017

Apex Predator Tourism - Paper!



I say, not too bad = a big improvement over last time!
Yes it's once again one of those papers where the academic intelligentsia is meddling and wants to tell us what to do - but when put into context like they have done here, those recommendations do make much more sense. And it's obviously nice that they mention the SRMR, and they also do get extra points for mentioning Rick's SSD!

And the whole mumbo jumbo about the need for regulation?
When it comes to Shark diving, it remains highly irritating - but I'm really not gonna waste my time and try to reformulate what I've said here, so please go and read it there = far from being the rule, regulation all the way to bans (!) is only opportune at a very last resort, i.e. only once common sense, voluntary codes of conduct and self regulation have utterly failed!
And yes, Florida troglodytes, I'm totally looking at you!

Oh and.
Considering the current rampant biodiversity loss within all non-managed ecosystems, I personally find the reference to moral, ethical, and philosophical questions about the commodification of nature naive and highly disturbing - and I can certainly leave it at that!

The good news?
This fad appears to be petering out and from what I can discern, this is very likely one of the last papers on the subject - thankfully!

Anyway.
Judge for yourselves = enjoy the paper!

2 comments:

JTruda said...

This kind of academic hysteria about the "impacts" of shark tourism is the very reason why I decided to write a book about non-extractive uses of marine wildlife - and compare this with the alternative of abuse, overfishing, slaughter. Be sure to hear from me in a few months' time!

DaShark said...

Good one José!

BUT, this doesn't absolve us from always striving to minimize our impact, see (if you got the time) here and here!