Monday, April 05, 2021

Seaspiracy?


So sorry!
I hate to interrupt Tashi Blue's lovely positive messaging - but this just has to be.
 
Yes I've finally watched that smug garbage.
Fatally reminds me of similar Sea-Shepherd-fueled production by yet another spoiled, entitled and uninformed white dude a while ago - and I can certainly leave it at that. 
It's nothing but a vegan propaganda con job for and quite possibly, by Sea Shepherd, too - and like a Trump campaign speech, it's so full of bullshit and outright lies that I really cannot be bothered to properly fact check it.
 
But others are trying.
So if you want to be more than a credulous sucker and get some, gasp, actual facts, I strongly recommend that you inform yourself here, here and here - and don't forget to click on the links!
 
Yes the above is obviously all very Hilborn.
I've now been a marine conservationist for many years and have started out as a utopian and very vociferous activist, albeit maybe a bit less extremely so than some others - but this is the real world and not a utopia, and as I've taken the time to learn about those tedious actual facts, I've come to realize that matters are actually complicated, and that the solutions need to be much more nuanced, much more species and location-specific and sometimes, much more innovative, too.
For you in the know, nowadays, my choice between the two ideological extremes of Hilborn and Pauly clearly gravitates towards the former - and this very much including my thoughts about Sharks
 
And when pondering where we want our food to come from, I for one will always advocate extracting food from a natural and largely undisturbed habitat over destroying whole ecosystems in favor of agriculture.
But that extraction will obviously need to be sustainable - and therein lays the crux!
 
Not convinced?
Just look at this shocking image - and the same applies to food crops, too!
 

So, is everything in fishing OK?
Obviously NOT, or there would be no need for people like me! 
But it is by far not as bad as depicted, at least not globally - and the big bad industrial fishing complex is most certainly not the only culprit  either! 
So by all means, if you feel the need to become active, first inform yourself and then, don't reinvent the wheel but go and support those many organizations that are actually tackling the issues that rile you the most - and trust me, contrary to what is being suggested, they do exist, and many do an excellent job! 
Sea Shepherd, too - but not always and not everywhere = hint: the louder and more strident the propaganda, the weaker the actual performance - so don't be a sucker and do your due diligence before parting with your precious conservation dollars or engaging in extremist vegan volunteering!
And never, ever forget  this = as a minimum, VOTE!!!!!!
 
Wanna stop eating fish?
Because you're white, entitled, live in the Northern hemisphere and can amply afford to do so? By all means, knock yourself out - and enjoy enjoy enjoy the organic kale! 
But, please, stahp lecturing the others who are not and can not - OK?

Anyway.
I'm already giving it way too much attention.
Like they say over there, à la poubelle! - and the same applies to all those insufferable idiots, charlatans and pleurnicheurs who praise that shit from their perches atop Mount Stupid, or who promote it because they are ultimately trying to sucker you into giving them your money.
BTW it's always the same folks - so stop listening, let alone admiring them!

Let's go Shark diving - sustainably!
 
Comments policy: please leave your comments here and not on FB. 
Please be aware that this is  not a public chatroom, and that comments we don't like will  be deleted.
Our blog our rules! :)
 
PS - well, this is embarrassing.
I must confess that I was pretty proud of my comparison at the top - and now I discover this.
I could regale you with some smart bonmot about great minds and the like - but I won't. Guess that after 5 years of that daily verbal diarrhea, the comparison must have been all-but-inevitable.
Anyway, enjoy enjoy enjoy the organic kale - Thumper and Bambi, and millions upon millions hectares of irrevocably obliterated terrestrial habitats included! :) .
 
PPS - more of those irritating and tedious actual facts here!
So, don't be a sucker!
 
PPPS - WOW WOW WOW!!!
Pauly here, Hilborn here - never would I have thought that those two guys would agree on anything, ever!

3 comments:

Lindsay L. Graff said...

Well said, and I quite like the Sea Shepard/Trump comparison. Accurate.

DaShark said...

Well now that fat Paul has stepped back, the SSCS appears to be a bit less virulent and a bit more fact based, and I must say that I do like some of their newer initiatives.

My comparison was to that atrocious movie.
What a total and utter fiasco - can't quite believe that DiCaprio is backing that shit!

Sanctum Una Una said...

Wow, such an amazing post.