Thursday, March 01, 2012

Bad News from Oz!


Not a good day for Madi Pip. :(

And I cite.

On the 28th February 2012, the Federal Environment Minister Tony Burke re-approved the East Coast Inshore Fin Fish Fishery (ECIFFF) as a Wildlife Trade Operation (WTO). The granting of the WTO allows the fishery to export its produce, which in this case includes shark meat and shark fins.

The fishery, which operates in and around World Heritage listed Great Barrier Reef marine park, has an annual quota for 600t of shark, which amounts to around 100,000 individual sharks. In 2010 alone, the fishery caught 66 tonnes of hammerhead sharks, including scalloped and great hammerheads, listed as Endangered on the IUCN Red List .
The fishery also catches turtles, dugongs, sawfish and snubfin dolphins.

What can I say that I haven't already.
It sucks, with no happy end in sight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am an avid scuba diver and go on several trips a year to the far Pacific. Although I have longed to dive on the Great Barrier Reef, I vow to NOT ever dive there as long as the Aussie government is so irresponsible! I can't do much, but I can withhold my money from them!

Jeanie Kilgour

DaShark said...

Kudos Jeanie!

Wish there were more people like you so that the local dive industry could leverage that!

Well done!